Even the craziest mornings have a time slot for a healthy bowl of cereal! Here are some tips and tricks to selecting the right one:
1. Whole Grain: Look for the words “whole grain” or “whole wheat” listed as the first ingredient. Whole grain products are rich in B vitamins which aid in our energy metabolism.
2. Less than 8g of sugar per serving: Most of the sugars in breakfast cereals are added sugars (from ingredients like corn syrup) but cereals can also contain natural sugars from dried fruits such as raisins. Try to choose a cereal low in sugar and add a piece of fresh fruit on the side.
3. At least 3g of fiber per serving: Fiber helps out our digestive system while keeping us full through the morning hours.
A few suggestions are:
- Kashi Heart to Heart – Honey Toasted Oat
- Kashi Heart to Heart – Warm Cinnamon
- Kashi Honey Sunshine
- Multigrain Cheerios
- Total (original)
- Wheat Chex
- Grape-Nuts Flakes
- Post Bran Flakes
- Newman’s Own “Sweet Enough” Honey Flax Flakes
- Honey Kix
If you cannot bear to give up your favorite cereal that does not exactly abide by our healthy cereal guidelines, mix it with one of the brands listed above. You may also wish to combine two of your favorite healthy cereals to spice up your morning bowl of nutritious deliciousness! Add a piece of fruit or some low fat yogurt to make a complete breakfast.